5/12/08

His story of the exciting venture

• an extraordinary boy
At the age of 12, I have an interest in learning English. Every morning, regardless of windy rain, I have to ride 40 minutes to West Lake, Hangzhou next to a small hotel to learn English, the school is eight years. At that time, China has been gradually opening to the outside world, many foreign visitors to Hangzhou tourism. I always free to act as tour guides for them, take them everywhere here at the same time to practise English, eight years of study and deeply changed me. Foreign tourists bring the knowledge and from my teachers, books to learn the very different, I began more than most people's vision of globalization.
I happen to another fundamental change took place in 1979. I met a family from Australia, this has two children, we play with a three-day, and later became a pen pal. 1985, they invited me to the summer holidays to Australia, so I went to there in July, lived 31 days. Before I go abroad, I think China is the world's most affluent and most well-being of the country. When I went to Australia, I found that I had the idea is not correct.
• repeated setbacks
I college entrance examination test three times, at that time were not the worst of Hangzhou University, Hangzhou Normal University admission. At the university, I was fortunate when on the student council, and later became President of the Federation of University Students of Hangzhou. But then, I was basically the future delineated in a secondary school English teacher. Graduation, I have more than 500 graduates in only one of the teachers teaching at the university. My monthly salary is 100 yuan to 120 yuan, equivalent to 12 to 15 dollars.
In a five-year teaching career, I have been dreaming of to the company, such as hotels or any other place. I just want to do what little. 1992, the business environment began to improve, I recruited a lot of work, but no one wanted me. I have been employed in Louisville, Kentucky, general manager of the Secretary of jobs, but was refused.
Then in 1995, as the translation of a trade delegation to Seattle. A friend of mine told me there for the first time demonstrated the Internet. We in the Yahoo search on "beer" this word, but not to search any information on China, we have decided to create a Web site, and register for the "Chinese Yellow Pages," the name.
I borrowed 2,000 U.S. dollars, created the company, then I know nothing about the personal computer and e-mail, I did not even contact with the keyboard. This is also why I said he is a "blind man riding a blind horse." We compete with China Telecom about a year, the General Manager of China Telecom said that investors are willing to 185,000 U.S. dollars, and we formed a joint venture company. I have never seen so much money. Unfortunately, China Telecom in the company's board of directors of the five seats occupied, and my company only two seats, we recommend that the pieces of everything they have refused, like ants and elephants Boyi, there are no opportunities . I decided to resign go it alone. At that time, I was the one from Beijing offer, responsible for the operation of a government aimed at promoting e-commerce organizations.
• entrepreneurial dream
My dream is to build their own e-commerce companies. 1999, I convened the 18 individuals, in my apartment in the meeting. I told them about my idea, two hours later, everyone has to pay the beginning, we had a total of Cou 60,000 U.S. dollars, which is to create Alibaba Diyitongjin.
I would like to establish a global business, so choose a global name. Alibaba is very easy to spell, and "Thousand and One Nights", "Zhimakaimen" the story of a household, it is easy to be remembered.
At that time, Alibaba is basically a "three-no" enterprises, no capital, no technology, no plan, but our ultimate survival down. We have used every penny very carefully, the company's office on the election in my apartment. In 1999 we received funding from Goldman Sachs injection, 2000 from Softbank was the investment, the size of the company began expanding.
• Graphic: We can achieve the status because I believe one thing: global vision, local win. Our own design business model, our primary concern how to help SMEs to make money. We never copy from the U.S. business model, as many as China's Internet entrepreneurs. We are concerned about the quality of products, we must realize "click, get." If not, that is rubbish.
I said that Alibaba had committed errors 1001. We expanded too quickly, the Internet bubble burst, we have to layoffs. By 2002, we have only enough cash to maintain 18 months. Alibaba site of many users are free to use service, we do not know how to profit. So we developed a product for China's exporters and U.S. buyers pull strings, this business model to save us. By the end of 2002, we achieved a net profit of one dollar, and finally crossed the break-even point. Since then, the company's operating results increased each year, Alibaba's profitability has been very strong.
• enlightenment and Prospects
In those dark days, I learned a lesson that you must maintain the value of team, innovation and vision. As long as you do not give up on the front line still have the opportunity. When your strength is still very small when you must be very focused and rely on your brain to survive, not your strength.
The listing is a milestone in Alibaba, listed the correct timing. Our B2B companies have a relatively solid foundation, the market environment is relatively healthy, the company has strong management. Alibaba listed in Hong Kong's success proves: Mainland enterprises in Hong Kong can also get the favor of investors and high levels of valuation.
My intention is to establish an e-business ecosystem, so that consumers and businesses to the Internet for all transactions. We also cooperate with Yahoo, the search service into the area and opened the online auction business and pay. I hope to create 1 million job opportunities, change China's social and economic environment, China has become the world's largest Internet market.
I is a relatively orthodox people. I value that in my life, I can do things, affect many people, the impact of China's development. When I achieved satisfactory, I think he is relaxed and happy, with a good result.

No comments: